How to Make Coral Royal Icing

There are several icing colors that give cookie decorators grief.  Darker colors like black and red are known to be troublesome, but believe it or not, it’s the lighter shades that get me.

Of all the colors I’ve ever mixed, coral is the one that’s caused me the most stress.  I’ve wasted more icing than I care to admit trying to achieve the perfect shade.

How to Make Coral Royal IcingThe exact ratio of yellow to pink always eluded me until one day, on the brink of a meltdown, I accidentally discovered the secret to coral icing.

Terracotta icing color…I never imagined it could be so easy.

Americolor Coral Icing ColorIn varying amounts, terracotta can be used to create any shade of coral you might need.  Easy, easy, easy!

Easy Coral Icing ColorIf you don’t have terracotta on hand you can use other colors to achieve the same result.

Lemon yellow plus rose or a small amount of tulip red mixed with ivory both produce a very nice shade of coral.   In fact, the color is almost exactly the same.  You have to look closely to really see the difference.  The key is adding the color little by little until you’ve worked up to the desired shade.

Coral Icing ColorIf you’re looking to tone things down a bit, just add a touch of blue or green.  This tip also works with pink.  To learn more, click here.

How to Make Coral IcingIt feels great to know that my days of throwing out icing are finally over!

Coral Royal IcingFor more color help, check out the following links:

Comments

Dyan says:

THANK YOU CALLYE!! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw your topic today. How did you know that just yesterday I was searching websites trying to find info on guess what???…..CORAL ICING!! I have wedding cookies to make in June…..you are an answer to prayer! Now instead of dreading this order I’m excited to start it. WooHoo!

Theresa says:

Perfect timing!!! I need to color fondant coral today!! Thanks a million. ;)

Samantha says:

Coral is such a tricky color! Everyone sees it differently and getting just the right amount of pink or orange is tough! I always use pink and yellow and red and sometimes ivory, I never would have thought to start with terracotta!
    Great tips Callye! Thank you!

Sweetsugarbelle says:

FOR REAL! I actually wanted to call this post *bleeping* coral because I almost always refer to it with an explicative. I’ve gotta be careful about mixing it at night especially. Perfect in my dim kitchen is usually a disaster in the morning.

CDW says:

I just started following you because I’m starting to make cookies for special occasions. I just got my very first PAID order and I couldn’t be more excited to see this topic! I guess coral is the color of the season, because I too will be making wedding favor cookies with a whole lot of coral going on! THANK YOU for this! I have a feeling you’re gonna be a huge help in my future if I get the chance to continue creating cookies!

Claire says:

Hi! I’m new to the baking world, and I just wanted to say that I love your posts! I just started my baking blog yesterday, and I ordered some piping tips tonight and I’m sooo excited to get started with them!!!!!!!

Anupa says:

A friend led me to your site & I’m so thankful–your tips & tutorials are AMAZING! Question…how do YOU make black icing without making it taste horrible? I’ve read about adding cocoa to the recipe. Would you recommend that with your icing recipe? Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Sweet Sugar Belle says:

I don’t add cocoa…I have just kind of accepted that it tastes bad, and try not to use a lot of it. If I am making cookies for someone else and they insist, I warn them. I sure do wish someone would invent no-taste black though! They would be RICH!

chan bun says:

Thank you for the tips! Would you be able to tell me what am I doing wrong after mixing the colors, I have so many air bubbles. Is it the way i’m mixing it? Do I need to let it sit? I’m having such a hard time making the royal icing flow smoothly without air bubbles.

Thank you!

Sweet Sugar Belle says:

When you mix, it’s helpful to let it sit for a bit and let the bubbles rise to the top before gently removing with a spatula. It also helps to spread the icing with an offset spatula, that’s how I eliminate most of my airbubbles.

1. […] 1 part of Leaf Green) Coral 15 second Icing (Follow the mixing directions by Sweet Sugar Belle here) Royal Icing Owl Eyes (or make them on the owl with thick white icing and a cupcake tip# 9FT. […]

2. […] How to Make Coral Royal Icing […]

3. […] and easiest way for cupcakes. A person mix the cream add your Yellow icing color. The best Yellow icing color is manufactured by Wilton called Yellow Daffodil. Will certainly make your buttercream a rich, […]