Quilted Royal Icing

Quilting?  Tufting?  Whatever you call it this easy technique is a simple way to dress up decorated cookies.  It’s pretty much my new favorite thing.

Quilted CookieIt’s possible to make quilted cookies without special equipment but to save time I prefer to use a Kopykake.  If you don’t have a projector, check out Sweetamb’s tutorial on Celebrations.com or purchase her how-to video here.

To make quilted cookies you will need:

Start by printing out the quilting template.  Once the image is trimmed and secured in the projector, it will look like this.  Center the design and adjust the Kopykake lens so the image fits the cookie.

Quilted Royal Icing 1Carefully fill alternating sections with 20-second icing.  If necessary use a toothpick to draw icing into the corners.

Quilted Royal Icing 2Its okay if the corners touch because they will eventually be covered, but for a cleaner look try to keep it to a minimum.

Quilted Royal Icing 3Let the first layer set long enough to dry a bit.  Patience is the most important part of creating a dimensional look.

Quilted Royal Icing 4Next, fill in the remaining squares.  At this point, you won’t need a projector.  It looks a little messy but don’t panic, it’s easy to fix.

Quilted Royal Icing 5Finish up by adding dots in where the squares meet.  It always amazes me how such a tiny detail can completely “clean up” a design.

Quilted Royal Icing 6This simple design is a great way to dress up any cookie collection.  Whether you have a projector or not, they’re easy to make.

Quilted Owl CookiesIf you like these cookies you can find helpful tutorials for each cookie design by clicking the following links:

Quilted Owl Cookie CollectionThese are my favorite kind of cookies to make…simple, cute, and colorful.  What’s not to love?

Owl Cookie PlatterFor even more helpful tips, check out these posts:

Comments

I love how this collection has such a variety, yet it’s so cohesive at the same time! Very inspiring! It’s nuts how those dots “clean up” the tufts. (I’d place them around my house if they only had the same “clean up” effect.)

Lovin’ the quilt cookies, actually lovin’ the whole collection!!

I love, love, love this platter. They are all so cute! The quilted look has been on my list, your reminder has me thinking how I can incorporate it!

Christina Ramsey says:

I was overwhellmed by to beauty of these cookies. You actually made me break down a buy a kopykake today. Can I blame you when my husband finds out? ;)

Sweetsugarbelle says:

Tell him he’ll thank you when he sees all the time it saves and how much less stressed you are. I’m quoting my husband :-)

Nessa says:

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Carla says:

So pretty! How can I make these if I don’t have a projector?

Sweet Sugar Belle says:

Click on the links to Sweet Ambs tuto in the second paragraph.

Raden says:

ugh, wonderland is the. best. farbic. line. ever. so disappointed it’s gone. you were smart. all i have now is a layer cake and a mother in law scouring every quilting shop in the state for me for any leftovers. i say, if you have any left, keep these quilts coming! i had just decided to cut my layer cake in quarters for my quilt, but now i’m thinking I might leave them whole thanks for another idea!

Christine Sullivan says:

Thank you so so much for tutorial on quilting royal icing!!!!
    And always for all the knowledge and tips that you share…. You are such an inspiration!!!!

anne says:

Absolutely amazing cookies

Dennisse says:

Your work ALWAYS blows me away. Thank you for your generosity. How is it that 20 second icing isn’t too runny for the quilting technique? I would have guessed a lower number that would yield a thicker icing that is less likely to go past that line and is more controllable.

Lisa Dash says:

You are so clever! You have no idea how appreciative I am to have found your website!! Thanks for all of your tutorials and tips. I look forward to going over all of the tutorials on this site!

1. [...] Quilted Royal Icing [...]

2. […] thought they looked gorgeous but never knew how easy the look was to achieve until I read this easy ‘how to’ tutorial from the ever creative Sweet […]

3. […] Haniela’s Quilted Cookie Tutorial – Sweetambs Quilted Cookie Tutorial – Sugarbelle’s Quilted Royal Icing Tutorial – Montreal Confection’s Quilting with Royal Icing […]