Press and Seal Icing Pods

This tip isn’t novel or new, but in case ya missed it I thought I’d talk about the plastic wrap trick one more time.

What is the plastic wrap trick, you ask?  Basically it’s putting royal icing into neat little plastic wrap pods before bagging.  This allows you to quickly and easily refill bags while working, cuts down on cleanup time, and extends the life of disposable pastry bags.  You can watch a video demonstration here or click here for a step-by-step post on coloring and preparing royal icing.

Icing PodsThis idea is pretty much genius on it’s own, but add Press and Seal Wrap, and it can’t be beat.

Press and Seal Icing BagsBegin by measuring out a small piece of plastic wrap {size depends on how much icing you plan to bag}, place a dollop of icing in the center, fold the two opposite corners together diagonally, seal the edges, then use both hands to spin pod away from your body, twisting the ends into a tight seal.  Again, you can see a video version here and the photo version here.

Once the pods are complete, pull the prepared pod through a coupler.

Icing Pods 1Drop them into a prepared disposable icing bag {instructions can usually be found on the box} and pull through the snipped end.

Icing Pods 2Secure the top of the bag with ties like these from Wilton.

Icing Pods 3Snip any excess plastic below the coupler.

Icing Pods 4Then, finish up by adding a tip.

Glad Wrap Icing Pods 5Easy breezy, right?  To clean or change pods simply remove the tip and tie, pull out the empty pod, and reload.  Otherwise rinse and reuse the bag.

Icing Pods 6This is a great way to save money and a mess.  For more excellent icing tips check out these posts:

I hope this little tip simplifies the process a little.  Have a great week!

Comments

Loren says:

This is an awesome tip! It would save me so much time! I feel like I’ve wasted so much time trying to get my couplers out and clean! Thank you!

Genius! Thank you, although I could have really used this helpful tip yesterday ;0) I am excited to try next week when we make more cookies for the holidays.

Jody Taylor says:

I hope to learn to decorate cookies

Nilda says:

Hi! Thanks for all of your tutorials, you are a really talented cookie decorator. I have a question, does the icing pods work with 20 second icing? Or it has to be stiff royal icing? Thank you so much, an please apologize if my english is not good, I’m from Chille. Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Jen says:

This may be a silly question, but is there a right and wrong side to put the icing on? Though I don’t have any press n seal in the house, I feel like there is a sticky and non-sticky side for press n seal? (I could be way off here!) Thanks!!

Barbara [Lov2Bake] says:

Wish I had asked before I put the icing on the NOT STICKY side! I thought something was wrong when no icing would come out. I hadn’t pulled the pod through enough and it sealed itself shut. I had to pull out more of the pod with tweezers & recut the piping end. Then, w hen I tried to change out the empty pod, it was stuck like glue to the insides of the bag! If there is a hard way to learn, I’ll find it every time!
      “It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious”
      YEP, it’s a curse to be so ingenious!

Robin says:

I came across Karen’s web site last Friday and used this method to bag the icing over the weekend. Worked like a charm.

Janis says:

So you think press n seal works better than saran wrap? I have both, what makes this better than saran wrap? I guess it keeps it from running out easier than saran, with thinner icing. Interesting. Will have to have a press n seal/saran wrap battle. lol

Jen says:

Brilliant! This is one of those tips that make me feel dumb, for never figuring out. Oh well…at least I won’t have to clean piping bags…worst job ever!

Deb says:

you just rocked my world. NO I never heard of this. Yay. I can’t wait to make your reindeer now.

Daria says:

Hi! Im affraid this one is no egsisting in Ireland:( Can I use the cling foil for wraping sandwiches??? Up to this time I used decorating gingerbrad only with white, will try now go for colours and sugar cookis:) they fascinating me whole time:)