Decorated Peeps Cookies

If you’re feeling like you’ve seen Peeps cookies here before, you’re absolutely right.  A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…I made Peeps cookies.

Decorated Peeps CookiesExcept back then, there was no such thing as a Peeps cookie cutter set.  I had to get creative.  Now, thanks to the geniuses at Wilton, Peeps cookies are as easier than ever before.

If you’re in the market for Peeps cutters, I’ve seen them at Walmart and Michaels so far.  I’ll update the links list as I find more.

Peeps Cookie CuttersOnce upon a time, for the sake of perfectly matched colors I would have driven to the store and bought Peeps. But now that we’re finally entering the the era of convenient cookies, I threw caution to the wind and GUESSED.  These are my favorite color combinations for Peeps cookies:

To make these cookies you will need:

• 20-second icing in the colors of your choice
  • Sanding sugar in the colors of your choice {I usually buy sanding sugar here}
  • Dark brown 20-second icing

*If using colored sugar, simplify this project by using white icing underneath.  Clear sanding sugar is great for a colored icing base

Begin by flooding the cookie with 20-second icing.  If necessary, use an offset spatula to even out the icing.  My favorite thing about these cookies is that since they’re covered with sanding sugar, you don’t have to worry about air bubbles.

How to Make Peeps CookiesLet the icing set slightly {five to ten minutes} then sprinkle with sanding sugar.  If you apply it too soon, the sugar will sink into the wet icing.  Waiting just a few minutes will produce a much nicer finish.

How to Make Peeps Cookies 2This really has nothing to do with the actual cookie, but I thought I’d throw it in.   When using sanding sugar, I like to work on a clean piece of parchment paper {coffee filters work too}.  When I’m finished working, cleanup is as simple as pouring the excess back in the jar.

Sanding SugarAnywho, once the base is dry remove any excess sugar and use a #2 tip to add a face.

Peeps Cookies 4The hardest thing about these Peeps is deciding between a cookie and the real thing!

Peeps Cookies for EasterIf you like this project, be sure to check out the following links:

Comments

Samantha says:

THESE ARE SO AWESOME!!!!!! They seem to get cuter every Easter :) I haven’t had a real peep in like 10 years, but I may have to go eat one!

Victoria aka mamaroach007 says:

So cute. Love the simplicity of these and just got the cutters from Michaels. Thanks Callye.

Rose says:

i have a friend who LOVES Peeps, and since I’m no baker and you mentioned these are a good starter cookie, I think I’ll have to try hunting down the cookie cutter and making them for him.

The thing is, I would have to ship them to him. Would there be a packing method you could recommend to get these through the mail?

Donna Tamburi says:

Bought mine today !! So excited, Easter can’t get here fast enough.

Kimberly says:

Hi. Great job. Did you use the colored sugar on your cookies above? Or did you use the clear on all of them? Thanks. :)

Tiffany says:

Stop it! I saw the pic of the cutters on IG…but you already made them!? Amazing! Definitely going to get the cutters tomorrow. Fun fact…I made a giant Peep chick cake a few years ago. Fun fact #2…I also love day (or two) old Peeps. That’s the best way to eat them!

Perfect – I need a quick and simple to offer friends this year! And not worrying about air bubbles… GOLD MEDAL for you!!

How fun…love them!!

Trinnie says:

Perfect eye placement! ????

Jennifer says:

Hi there! I just recently found your blog and love, love, love it! Your cookies are SO AMAZING! I had no idea cookies could be so beautiful! They are truly little works of art. I have never tried making fancy sugar cookies, but you have inspired me to give it a whirl. Pretty sure mine will be sad in comparison, but you gotta start somewhere, right? Thank you for the inspiration and fantastic blog!