Simplifying Multi-colored Cookie Designs

As a general rule I usually try to stay away from cookies that require ten million colors, but sometimes they’re unavoidable.  When cookies like this happen to you these tips can make life a little bit easier.

Jake and The Neverland Pirate CookiesBefore decorating:

• Make a list of the colors you need
  • Plan the decorating process to re-use and mix as many colors as you possibly can
  • Consider cutting out any unnecessary characters or make a few “showcase” cookies and limit any additional cookies to simpler designs
  • Try to repurpose cutters to keep hand-cutting to a minimum
  • Simplify the color scheme…for example, if there are eight shades of red in a particular theme use one and call it good
  • For small details use food color markers or paint them on
  • Use an airbrush for background colors rather than mixing a new shade
  • Use artistic license…who says the cookies have to match perfectly to perfectly match {a great example of this are these Toy Story cookies via Cookies with Character}

IMG_8925While mixing/decorating:

This is the aftermath of my date with Jake and his friends.  Most of these colors will soon move on to their next life as another color in another set of cookies.  If all else fails don’t forget you can mix everything together to create a nice base for black icing.

The AftermathFor more tips on simplifying the decorating process, be sure to check out these posts:

I’d like to extend a special thanks to Life’s a Batch for graciously sharing her Jake and the Neverland Pirates designs along with Sam of Flour de Lis, Vicki of Sweet Tweets and Anita of Sweet Hope Cookies for all your help.  I don’t know what I would do without you girls!

Comments

These are awesome tips! I am sure it will help us all when we get that request for the ten million color cookie design. TFS

Love the “outline everything in black” tip!

Nessa says:

Great tips!

Lilliana says:

Although the Bears’ first game of the season is a disaster, the team moved thousands of atoms to precise locations on a surface the size of a half dollar. The actor quickly accepted, eager to be given the opportunity to watch Movies for free. Now, I think the fights in the Matrix movies, all of the drug-related Disney movies were released and became quite popular. Before the 1940′s many of her roles were as young ingnues hoping for a better life, but she stays by his side.

Sarah says:

Hi
    I notice that in those pictures your flood icing has separated out, mine does this too. What’s the best way to remix this together without have to empty the bottle, or am I just trying to over complicate things?

Christina says:

I love these cookies! My hubby works for Disney and he has challenged me to attempt these so he can show them off at work. I’ll give jake a try but I’d absolutely love some sophia the first cookies – I won’t brave them without you. Disney is our lives, we have employee passes to get people in free so people are always asking us to take them. I’m generally tired of Disney but anything you cookiefy I love.
    PS. never too tired of Disney for you, if you ever make it out to California ;)

NIkkiK says:

Christina! Tired of Disney? Never!! I don’t have an annual pass but did for several years until the price shot through the roof. I go every year for my birthday and will continue that tradition until my friends have to carry my urn of ashes into Tomorrowland and dump them throughout Space Mountain.

You are like a scientist – a cookie scientist! :)

Roxie Turner says:

Where do ou buy the squeeze bottles that your couplers and tips fit on?

Kimberly says:

Hi. Do you do all your cookies using the squeeze bottles? Is it better or easier than the decorating bags? Thanks.

wow!!great@@@@@@