How to Make Bitten Gingerbread Men Cookies with Wilton and Michaels Products
The holiday baking season is upon us and decorated cookies are at the top of everyone’s list! Silly bitten gingerbread man cookies are a fun (and funny) treat that is sure to make everyone smile.
To make these cookies you will need:
- Wilton 4-Piece Holiday Grippy Cutters (gingerbread man and Christmas tree)
- Wilton Parchment Paper
- Wilton Disposable Decorating Bags
- Wilton Standard Couplers
- Wilton #1, #2, and #67 Decorating Tips (you may need multiples of each size)
- Wilton 9-inch Angled Spatula
- Wilton Squeeze Bottles
- Wilton Shimmer or Pearl Dust in gold
- Wilton Gingerbread Boy Sprinkle Mix
- Large Wilton Dusting Brush
- Tan royal icing in piping and flood consistency
- Pink flood consistency royal icing
- Black piping and flood consistency royal icing (a small amount)
- Red flood consistency royal icing (a small amount)
- Stiff green piping consistency royal icing
- White piping consistency royal icing
To create “bitten” cookies, roll dough out on parchment paper and cut out several gingerbread men. Use a Christmas tree or scalloped round cutter to take “bites” out of each one.
Prepare royal icing and thin to the proper consistencies in the colors listed above.
Fill disposable piping bags that have been fitted with couplers and prepared according to the directions on the package.
Place the flood consistency icing in squeeze bottles.
Begin by using tan icing to outline the cookie with a #2 tip. Next, fill the outline with tan flood icing. If necessary use an angled spatula to smooth out air bubbles and to draw icing to the very edge of the outline.
At this point, let the base layer of icing dry. This can take anywhere from four to twenty-four hours, depending on the climate where you live.When the cookie is dry, use the large dusting brush to sweep a light layer of gold shimmer over the surface of the cookie. This will create a nice, subtle sheen.
And…if you need inspiration for their expressions, look no further than your smart phone. I borrowed the expressions from a few of my favorite emojis and they worked perfectly!
Using a #67 (leaf) tip, create a bow. I’ve talked about leaf tip bows before, but just in case you missed it, I broke it down into four easy steps.
Finish up by using a #2 tip to add wavy white lines to the head, neck, arms, and legs.
These silly bitten gingerbread men are sure to make everyone smile. I hope you will make them soon. All of the products used to make these adorable cookies are available at your local Michaels store or Michaels.com.