Black-Eyed Pea Cookies for New Year’s Day

For as long as I can remember, my family has had the same menu on New Year’s Day.  Pork roast, cabbage, corn bread, and black-eyed peas.  As I kid, I loathed the first day of the year but not nearly so much as my poor brother, who almost always swallowed a single black-eyed pea kicking and screaming.  Maybe if it had been cookies, he’d have been more appreciative of our tradition.

These days I’m down for the peas, but even if I weren’t, I’d definitely go for these.

Black Eyed Pea Cookies_SweetsugarbelleI’ve made black-eyed pea cookies before, but with a much larger cutter.  This time around I was in the mood for minis.  The jellybean/kidney cutter from this set was perfect for the job.  As a matter of fact, the entire set is pretty handy.  If you don’t yet own it, you can pick it up here.

Jelly Bean Cookie CutterAnywho, the best thing about black-eyed pea cookies is that there’s not much to them.  Three steps and you’re done with no waiting in between.

To make these cookies you will need:

*Read down for a little more help with colors

Begin by piping the black center of the pea.  Immediately add a line of lighter icing to the center. Finish up by filling the rest of the cookie as pictured below.  Easy, peasy right?

Black Eyed Pea Cookies for New Year The most difficult part of the entire process is getting the colors right.  For the lighter shade I mixed warm brown, juniper green, and a touch of black.  The darker color is simply chocolate brown with a liberal amount of black.

Black Eyed Pea CookiesHopefully these cookies will covert even the pickiest eaters into black-eyed pea fans.  Surely they count!

PS-My picky brother is eating steelhead trout with curried cauliflower, seared carrots, Havarti gnocchi, and dill cream sauce as I type.  Oh how things change.

For more fun New Year cookie ideas and inspiration be sure to check out these posts:

Comments

Brandy says:

What kind of cookies are these? Look too dark to be sugar cookies.

Rosemarie says:

Happy New Year!

so awesome! Just featured these on my facebook fan page and pinterest

these would be the only black eyed peas my family would eat for sure! I need to come up with a tradition for New Years Day…it’s usually hangover food!

Boy says:

OMG Kristy I am in awe of the work you do. Thank you so much for capturing such a aaznimg time in our lives. Words cannot express how much I appreciate you and your creativity. Matt and I prayed for a little one for so long, we are overjoyed with so many emotions. Thank you for giving me, matt and baby mowrey memories to last a lifetime!

Alicia Sáenz says:

Muy interesante tu página y muy creativa
    Muchas felicidades

Love these!! Just featured them with a link on my page! SO CUTE!!!!!!

D.J. says:

Well Callye, that covers your blackeyed peas for good luck (anyone receiving these on New Years would be VERY lucky indeed!) but what about your greens for prosperity? My Mom use to force my brother and I to eat at least 3 blackeyed peas and a spoon of collard greens on New Years.
    Wishing you a wonderful (and safe) New Years my sweet friend,
    Deborah

Paula says:

I’ve never had black eyed peas but I think I’d react the same as your brother did when he was younger. Now these cute little cookie ones I would have no trouble cleaning off a plateful!

Best wishes to you and your family Callye. May the New Year be good to all of you.

Pam says:

I absolutely love these!!! My family also does the black eyed peas every New Year, it’s a southern tradition. They are adorable, and done perfectly I might add!

NikkiK says:

Oh Callye, you’re the best. I’m a black eyed pea lover so I’d have to flip a coin. Can’t I just have both? Anybody else out there in cookieland eat cornbread with their black eyed peas? I can only eat them with cornbread, they just go together like that. These are so cute I’m swooning!