Decorated Love Bird Cookies

You might have noticed by now that I have a long running love affair with bluebirds.  Somehow, I end up making a variation of them every single year.  I’d almost decided to take a break, but when I discovered these adorable illustrations by Cookies With Character, I knew they’d be happening soon.

Lovebird Cookies SweetsugarbelleKrista’s latest artistic venture, Drawn with Character, takes cookie decorating to a whole new level.  Specializing in clip art designed with the cookie decorator in mind, you can purchase a pre-drawn image {often the most time consuming part of cookie decorating} for a small fee.  All you’ve got to do is pipe.

Although the convenience of a ready-to-pipe design is well worth the cost, once a week Krista is offering something even better than that!  This adorable template is actually part of the Friday Freebie collection {we can pretend it’s Friday} offered weekly on her blog.

You can get these “tweeties” by clicking here.Krista BirdsWhat I love most is how versatile the designs are.  I was able to use the same image to produce three different cookies…my “pet” design being lovebirds made with a mustache cutter.

If you don’t own a mustache cutter, you can pick one up here.

To make these cookies you will need:

For uniform cookies use a food-safe marker to draw a piping guideline before you begin.

Love Birds Cookie CutterOutline the cookie as pictured below.

Love Birds Cookies 1Next, flood the cookie in alternating sections.  Give the first section a bit of time to dry before filling the second one to create a dimensional look.

Love Bird Cookies 2While it’s perfectly okay to wing it {pun intended}, I used my Kopykake to project Krista’s design onto the dried base.  I had to adjust it a little as I worked to make sure everything was in the right place, but the decorating process took almost no time at all.

Begin by piping eyes, beaks, and wings with a small tip, such as a #1.5 or #2.  Then, use a star tip to add a sprig of hair on top and that’s all there is to it.

Blue Bird Cookie How-ToHere’s the progression from clip art to cookie, beginning with a butterfly cookie {cutter can be purchased individually found in this set} as the base.

Start with a flooded cookie that is completely dry.  Project and position the image, fill the larger areas in sections with 20-second icing, and pipe the details with a #1.5 tip.  Don’t be afraid to add your own special touches

Alternatively, you can outline and fill if your more comfortable with this technique.

How to Make Bluebird CookiesI think my favorite cookie ended up being the half-version I piped on a round.

Bluebird CookiesI love how the designs compliment one another.  No matter what your decorating style, Krista’s illustrations make putting together a coordinated platters easy and fun.Lovebird CookiesFor more lovebird madness, be sure to check out these links:

Comments

I am so HAPPY you made these this year. The birds on the butterfly have flew away with my heart. SO CUTE!! I am pinning now.

PS- Thank you so much Krista for the Friday Freebie!!!!

Your cute little blue birds is what got me decorating over a year ago!! Now this!!!!!! I’m even more in love with them now :)

Samantha says:

Gosh golly! The colors are perfect and I love the feather tufts on the birdies heads! Sooooo darn cute!

Dana says:

Hi Callye! Adorable cookie design! I think my favorite is the butterfly shape. I always look forward to your next cookie decorating creation! You have the best ideas. And talent that always amazes me. You make each of your tutorials easy to understand with so many helpful tips. Thanks for the inspiration. Pinned many of your cookies here…http://www.pinterest.com/dorana1/the-art-of-cookie-decorating/

SweetSouthernSprinkles says:

Callye,
    These are “over the top” adorable!! I LOVE all of them! Thanks to Krista for the freebie! As I commented to Krista – I only wish I had a fraction of your creativity! You help out those of us who lack that creativity tremendously! Thank you, again. :)

Adorable cookies and great use for my mustache cutter that I’ve never used! thanks for sharing these cute cookies.

You are just so CREATIVE!!! I am in love with your cookie abilities!!!

As you know I just love blue and I always look forward to seeing your blue birds. From cookies to almonds you always have a unique way of transforming them. Thank you for showing us how you can take clip art and use it as is but also use it to customize a design. Love the use of the mustache cutter. They are perfect! Thank you Krista for the clipart. It’s so cute!

These are darling!! Thanks for sharing, Krista, and for the great instructions, Callye!

Crystal R. says:

I love looking at all your designs. I’m not a cookie decorator at all. I paint, scrapbook, paper crafter, etc. Question: What do you o with all the cookies you make? My family would get real tired of eating them all the time. Just curious.

Sweetsugarbelle says:

I get that question a LOT. I give most of them away. If someone requests something inspiring and I feel okay, I try to make them…but most of the time if it’s something random I send them to church, my MIL’s office, to the school, or my parents/brothers/family. My dad’s dog is pretty fond of stale cookies too! Sometimes I give them away to deserving people or mail them out as RAKs…I also bombard my poor neighbors who also give them out at school, work, etc.

Just yesterday I sent a door to door salesman away with a gallon baggie full. It seemed to ease the pain of me not buying a vacuum, lol! The good thing about cookies is that it’s usually not hard to talk SOMEONE into taking them off your hands :)

• Robin says:

Sugarbelle, my oldest son asked me ‘when am I going to make ‘real’ cookies….he means chocolate chip…that was my clue to start dropping them off at the fire station or take them to the Veteran’s Hospital….they never tire of the cookies! :-)

1. […] Sweet Sugar Belle Decorated Lovebird Cookies […]