Simple Chinese Lantern Cookies

One of the drawbacks of living in a tiny west Texas town is that my exposure to other cultures is sometimes limited to what I read on the Internet.  I’ve always wanted to experience a traditional Chinese New Year celebration, but until that becomes a possibility I have to settle for cookies.  With a little help from my amazing friend Ken, author of Hungry Rabbit, I came up with a pretty good assortment.  My favorite are these simple Chinese lantern cookies.

Chinese Lantern Cookies

There are many cutters that would work well for this project, but I decided on a couple of Christmas ornaments and a snowman.  If you don’t own fancy ornament cutters, I really like this four-ornament set from Fancy Flours or this six-ornament set available via Amazon.com

IMG_6303

To make these cookies you will need:

• Red piping and 20-second icing
  • Gold piping and 20-second icing
  • Jade piping icing {optional}

To reduce mixing, you could always cut out the red and jade piping icing and use yellow for all of the detail work.

Begin by using red 20-second icing to create a large circle/oval on the largest portion of the cookie.  Don’t worry if it’s not perfect…I read somewhere that Chinese lanterns are traditionally oval shaped.  I don’t know if that’s necessarily true but since it cut a little stress on my end I stuck with that.

Chinese Lantern Cookies 1

Let the base dry, pipe on lantern details, and fill in the gold areas with 20-second icing.

Chinese Lantern Cookies 2

Finish up by using piping icing to add the final details.  I used a #1.5 tip.

Chinese Lantern Cookies 3These cookies look perfect mixed with other fun designs.  I used Montreal Confection’s wet-on-wet design for the fan cookie.  You can view her how-to video here.

Simple Chinese New Year CookiesIf you like this set, be sure to check out these links:

Have you ever celebrated Chinese New Year?  Tell me about it.

Comments

Kogie says:

I love your cute Chinese boy and girl cookies! Please share how you made them? Thanks!

Jacqui says:

I can write Chinese, but your handwriting on those characters is way better than mine.
    WHAT is that about? >_>

This whole set is amazing though, can’t find a single one I don’t think is gorgeous. My favourite must be the technique on those little cherry blossoms though. Lovely!

Kim Nguyen says:

Please, please share images of how you created the little boy and girl!! I’m practicing so that these cookies will be added at the next Lunar New Year celebration, along with the traditional dishes my mom and grandma spend days preparing for!!!

Debbie Lind says:

I try to bring alot of culture to our dinner plates. i have lived all over the US being an Army brat. Many yummy foods out there

Erica says:

Hi hi ,
    I want to make the Chinese boy & girl cookies
    Do you have any cookies I can you .

Best regards
    E

Pauline C says:

Very beautifully decorated cookies. it gives me alot of inspiration. tks

Jessica B says:

Hello!

I just wanted to let you know that a user on Instagram (with the name quenniekitchen) used your chinese lantern photos and claimed them to be herself. I recognized your work as soon as I saw it and I reported the photo!!!

1. […] making Chinese New Year Cookies last January, I thought I’d satisfied my creative urge.  But when I saw these Kokeshi doll […]

2. […] d’adapter vos messages! Bouchées à l’ananas Cupcakes au décor de dragon chinois Cookies en forme de lanternes chinoises Cookies en forme de poupées chinoises Cookies en forme de personnages, pièces chinoises, […]