Shark Fin Cookies

Note to self: If you make a bunch of dinosaur cookies to get ahead for your son’s birthday, he will inevitably decide (one day before the party) to change his theme.

That’s where easy shark fin cookies come into play.  These cookies are so simple, you can probably start one day before the party and finish with time to spare.

I complicated things by adding a few more designs, but that’s another issue.

Shark Fin CookieShark fin cookies are as easy as cutting a moon cookie in half.  If you don’t have a moon you could also use a circle cut into quarters.

Easy breezy, right?

Shark Fin Cookie CutterOnce the cookies are baked it’s time to decorate.  All you need is:

Outline the cookie, and partially fill with gray icing.  Then use an offset spatula to spread the icing evenly over the surface.

Shark Fin CookiesSince 20-second icing is a little difficult to explain with photos, here’s a quick little video of the process.
Like I said, this is about as easy as cookie decorating gets.  Meanwhile, send the ill-fated dinosaur cookies to school and everyone wins!

Shark Week CookiesShark fin cookies are great for decorating cakes and cupcakes, or if you’re into complicating things and want to make a set (like me), check out these links for more great ideas:

Comments

Amanda says:

This is amazing!! Such a brilliant idea!

Georganne says:

Oh my goodness! You’ve done it again!! I LOVE the way you think simple!!

Vicki says:

Well….you know if you have a video that I’m all in!!! I love all of these but would have never thought of the moon!!!!

Oh kids! My daughter has three Halloween costumes and can’t choose. I’m so sure that the second I make her costume, she’ll insist on another! Lol. You pulled off this last-minute change like the cookie pro that you are ;) Simple and awesome!!

Sweetsugarbelle says:

We are dealing with the EXACT same thing! I almost ordered one (I’m sad I can’t make them anymore, but with all our activities…) Anyway, Caleb wanted to be an FBI agent, but just days ago he decided on Spider-Man. I figure I better wait a few more weeks because I’m sure he will change his mind again!

Oh how I love me some shark cookies! These fins are wonderful and I can think of a hundred different ways to use them. HUM, I wonder if I could make a shark fin necklace for a mid day snack! ;)

Oh, how I love this whole set! Let me just say, simple or not, your son is lucky that you are his mama! :) I am going to try out the offset spatula next time I decorate. Thanks for including my cookies! :)

Samantha says:

The teeth!!! These are so awesome and I am sure your little dino lover was thrilled with them!

Using the moon cutters is a perfect idea, wish I had though of that when I made shark fins! Great idea!

Lori P says:

AMAZING! These are sooo cute!

Marlyn says:

Hi Callye, Love these cookies but I think my favourite on your platter are the 2 tone wave circles. Thanks so much for adding the link to my tutorial. Take care, Marlyn