I have a whole bin full of dinosaur cookie cutters but not one that I absolutely love. So, when it came time to make triceratops cookies, I had to get a little creative.
- Egg yolk yellow piping and 20-second icing
- Lighter yellow piping and 20-second icing
- Small amount of white piping icing
- Small amount of black piping icing or black sugar pearls
For uniform cookies, use a food color marker to sketch the face before flooding. It should resemble an upside-down acorn.
Next, use 20-second icing to flood the cookie in sections as pictured below. Begin with the face, then use lighter yellow to flood the frill and body. If you’re using sugar pearls as eyes, add them now.
- Use a small tip and pipe lines to indicate a snout, nostrils, and a mouth.
- Use white piping icing to pipe three horns on the triceratops’s face.
- Add eyes
- Pipe legs and toenails
While we’re on the subject, I decided to throw in a picture of this guy. When I first began my cookie decorating adventure, this cutter frustrated me to no end. So, here’s a simply decorated example for reference sake.