Deep Pink, Magenta, Hot Pink and Fuchsia Royal Icing

Have you ever struggled to make the perfect shade of deep pink, magenta, or fuchsia royal icing?

On that note, have you ever wondered what the difference between all of these colors even is? I can’t help you with “name that color”, but I can offer tips on creating deep, dark shades of pink icing. Deep Magenta Fuschia Pink Royal IcingDespite making regular appearances, my relationship with deep pink icing has not always been an easy one.  The end product was always nice but there were often several mishaps and a lot of wasted icing behind the scenes. Magenta_Deep Pink_Magenta IcingFinally, I came up with a formula.  I adjust it based on the project, but the basic idea is always the same. Deep Pink Royal Icing FormulaThe only major change I’ve made over the years is switching from Americolor pinks to Wilton.  In most cases, I love Americolor gels, however, their pinks seem to be a bit “gritty”.  I dissolved a little of each color in water to illustrate the difference. Dark Pink Icing ColorHere’s a closer look.  Do ya see the gunk?  I don’t know what it is but I don’t want it in my icing. Americolor Deep Pink SpecksIcing color isn’t always an exact science.  Here’s a day in the life of deep pink icing around here. I start with Wilton rose.  Since Wilton colors don’t come in the neat little containers like Americolor, I  eyeball about fourteen drops worth.  My guess would be about half a teaspoon to half a cup of royal icing.  Start on the lighter end and work your way up…you can always add more later. Magenta Fuschia Royal Icing 1Next, I add a little red to deepen the pink.  The exact shade isn’t really important.  In this case I grabbed super red, because that’s what I found first.  Tulip red and Christmas red are fine too.  Again, add a little at a time so it gets progressively darker.  If you go overboard, it’s very hard to undo. Deep Pink Icing ColorSometimes I need a  “purpler” shade of pink.  Violet and regal purple are often too blue, which can muddy up the mix.  I’ve found electric purple to be the safest route.  You can add a little blue later if necessary. Deep Pink Icing Royal Icing 2To finish up, use blue or green to tweak the final shade.  I talked about it in depth here.  If there is blue or green in the palette use that.  If not, turquoise is my go to shade.  However, don’t be afraid to experiment with other colors like sky and royal blue or leaf, forest, avocado, and juniper green.  You’ll be amazed at what you come up with.Magenta Fuschia Deep Pink Royal IcingWith a little practice, you’ll be making perfect pink icing every time.

Magenta_Deep Pink_Fuchsia IcingFor more icing tips, check out these posts:

Comments

Samantha says:

I can never get the shade of pink I want! I always just mix it an go with it hahaha
    I would have never though to add a touch of green to even it out! You’re so smart :D

Kris says:

Perfect timing for Valentine’s coming up! I didn’t mix one batch of red for Christmas ( I did all pastel cookies this year and LOVED it) I don’t plan on red this Valentines either… Red is my nemesis,.,I plan to do all shades of PINK for Valentines….
    Have a very Merry Christmas Callye and thank you for sharing all that you do..

I am definitely switching to Wilton pinks. Thanks for the post and Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Anne

You are a color genius!

Tania T says:

Thank you for sharing! Love your blog and your cookies. Merry Christmas.

This is a perfect demonstration of how complexicated (my son’s word, don’t you love it?) the process of finding the right pink can be! Not that I’ve ever achieved it myself… But I’ll give it a whirl after the holidays! Ho-Ho-Ho!!

Stephanie says:

Excellent tips, though I don’t usually have difficulty with pink- it’s red that burns me. I can’t get Americolor where I live, only Wilton. I used a jar and a half ( 3 oz) in a full batch of royal
    Icing and it wouldn’t go any darker than rose. Could you please do a red tutorial? I think we’d all appreciate it!! Merry Christmas to you!!!

Lisa says:

Thanks so much for explaining this. I’m a bit of a novice with royal icing and I use your site every single time I decorate cookies. I really do think practice makes perfect (well, better anyway). I’ve definitely improved and wouldn’t have gotten this far without your expertise.

Merry Christmas!

Julie says:

I love it when you explain how to make the color shades. Thank you.

Jessie says:

So, I had to make Christmas red and it ended up tasting like CRAP by the time I got the color I wanted! Will you do a red tutorial? I used your color chart and it wasn’t dark enough. :( the cookies were for kids, I still handed them out because the bitter taste wasn’t an issue in a taste test with my kids, but I don’t want that to happen again!